Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Swifts: Paths of Movement + Dynamic Sequences


Giacomo Balla
1913

Italian Futurist artist Giacomo Balla adapted the latest techniques involving rhythm and motion. At first you notice the many layers of the painting, but with further viewing, you understand the "paths of movement," as mentioned in the title, suggest the paths of swifts and the wing-like objects represent the "dynamic sequences." Although his use of muted tones and his use of multiple layers may come off as chaotic to some, I find his layering of different strokes to be well thought out and placed in an orderly manner. At times I find myself indifferent to this painting - one moment I enjoy looking at it because I notice something new that I never noticed before, but at other times I find it forgettable and lacking some elements to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment